| Backyard shotgunning can be fun for the entire family especially if you have or know someone that has a few acres of land to shoot safely on. This is about the cheapest source of shotgun shooting practice that you will find to help hone your skills as a shotgunner, or just have a lot of fun with your family and friends.|
There are a few things that you must take into consideration before trying to set up a small clays course.
1. Are there laws prohibiting such activity in your area.
2. Do you have neighbors surrounding your property that will be insensitive or annoyed by your shooting on this scale.
3. Make sure you have enough room for a shot fallout zone in the direction that you will be shooting in by at least 300 yards.
Do-All Traps Full-Cock Competitor Trap sells for under $60.00 at various merchants and can provide endless hours of shooting fun. These units are very portable and can be set up for use in a matter of minutes, they can be adjusted for height and angle as well with little or no trouble.
Setting Up A Course:
Because these units are so very inexpensive you can buy more than 1 unit and set up your own course and stations for sporting clays. This is easily accomplished by selecting areas that have various terrain features and cover such as wooded lots etc., each station with its own unique shooting situation. The best part of this is that you can alter your course to duplicate shooting situations that you may find yourself in, hunting your favorite local game hotspots.
Stationary Field Use:
This is probably where most of these units get used is in the middle of an open field somewhere. This has many advantages for trapshooters for the simple reason you can set one of these up and work on shots that on the trap field give you problems. It is here where when not under pressure you just may find that your shotgun just doesn't fit right and causing you to miss shots by not being able to get on targets fast enough. Perhaps your pattern opens to much at longer range targets, if so this way you can change to chokes of different types and constriction till you find the one that works for you and your shooting style. Patterning a shotgun with various shotgun shells and chokes, tells you one thing but actual shooting situations will tell you another about your shooting style.
Range Problem Solving:
Once you set up your clay target thrower measure out the distance that you are having problems at, drive an orange stake in the ground at that distance and begin practicing at those targets once they pass your stake. It won't take long to figure out the problem from there.
Shotgun Shooting Sport:
- Shotgun Sports Targets, Clay: A circular, domed frangible disc used as an aerial target for shotgun shooting games. Originally formed out of clay, modern targets are a combination of pitch and limestone. Dimensions and weights are regulated by shotgun trap and skeet shooting associations. They are often called "clay pigeons".
- Sporting Clays: Often called "golf with a shotgun," it is a sport in which shooters, using shotguns, fire at clay targets from different stations on a course laid out over varying terrain.
- Skeet: A clay target shooting sport with a shotgun. Shooters fire at clay targets crossing in front of them.
- Trap: A clay target shooting sport with the use of a shotgun. Shooters fire at clay targets flying away from them. Shooters stand behind the trap at a distance from 16 to 27 yards.